Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My new friend

So, my brother has this girlfriend that he met during school. Her name is Kirstie, and she was a senior while he was a sophomore. Obviously she graduated, and he is still in school, but she is staying here in Cedar City to go to SUU. Doofus Luke, he runs off to Piute county for the summer, leaving barely any contact between the two of them. She does happen to get invited to go to Dusty and Corrine’s wedding with us, so she goes and meets everybody, hangs out for a while. Then, a week later it is the 4th of July, so I decide to surprise Luke and invite her to go to my booth with me in Richfield. She hung out at my booth at Groovefest with Luke and all of us (me, Anthony, mom, Eriq) for a while, but we didn’t talk really. I figured I’d invite her to Richfield to surprise Luke, and to show her where we grew up. But, after Luke saw her, it was like he was upset. He said he already made plans, and didn’t know if she could come along or not. I didn’t realize my brother was such a jerk! So I invited her to come stay wiht us, and we talked as she helped me tag/price some of my stuff.Now, a few weeks later, she has become more of a friend to me. Luke has barely come back a few days ago from Piute, and he isn’t tlakign to her much. But this isn’t about them, it is about me and my new friend. So–Kirstie is an artist, she does paintings and graphic design. I had more booths coming up, so I asked her if she wanted to bring some paintings to sell, and I even gave her a few small canvases to use. She hung out at my house one night, painting while I sewed. She and Anthony bonded as they rambled about their favorite movies (The Big Lebowski, for one) and favorite bands (Rush is the only one I can think of right now…) which I don’t happen to have in common with either of them. Hmm. But, she hung out and we got to know each other better. She came up to Duck Creek with us at the Duck Creek Days fair, and she told two of her small paintings. I think she is an amazing artist. she must be, since she has paintings in galleries in Salt Lake, and sold one when she was a sophomore, for $900. Crazy. So I’m having her make more, and she is bringing them to Monroe for the 24th and to Christmas in July in Cedar City the next two days. I’m also trying to convince her to make a website or an etsy store (etsy.com–so amazing!) so she can get her name out and get more business. She’s fun. I like to tease her and call her a starving artist, since she lives alone and eats rice and cheese most of the time because she is so poor.Yeah, that’s my new friend

No comments: